Monday 13 June 2011

K wire gone & Aircast boot fitted

Well I finally managed to see some x-rays, they are post surgery, actually the ones that were taken a few weeks back, but it helps to see what was actually inserted into my foot. Quite a clever bit of hi tech carpentry really, I thought it was incredible that they'd managed to fit so much into such a small area & fix them all to such small bones.
The K wire removal wasn't too bad, a couple of deep breaths, a good pull & it was done. The worst bit was looking at it afterwards (I wouldn't recommend you do this unless you have quite a strong stomach). So I then met with a physio, who fitted me with an aircast boot. I still can't weight bear apparently, but I do have some gentle ankle exercises to do, to try to improve the flexibility in my ankle & also to stretch the muscles & tendons in my heel & back of my leg. At the moment my heel doesn't sit down in the boot as the muscles & tendons have shrunk. But the physio assured me if I do the exercises on a daily basis this will help. I've also been doing some other exercises which a physio suggested to me after the operation. Although none weight bearing, I'm convinced that they've been quite crucial in slowing down the muscle wastage in my upper leg & bum ! I've been trying to do them most days & actually the bit of extra weight given by boots & casts has helped by providing a little extra resistance I think.
After a few days of adjusting to the aircast boot & changing the surgical dressings I feel quite positive. The scar doesn't appear to be as bad as I'd feared & in a few days I should actually be able to have a bath.... with my foot :)
 I've also recently started using my parents neighbour's multigym a few times a week, to tone & strengthen my upper body mainly. It's not exactly been an adrenaline pumping activity, but it's helped I'm sure. One of my biggest concerns about the amount of time I was going to be immobilised for, was the effect it might have on my body & posture. So just by stretching muscles & lying on the bed to exercise for a little while every day it looks as though, so far, there's not been any noticeable change. I can now wiggle all five toes too ( I know I've mentioned this previously but I am so genuinely relieved that they do !), there is a little bit of numbness still in some of my toes but the important thing is that they move. Oh & I weighed myself today & I weigh about the same as I did when I had the op, yippee ! I  didn't want the problem of additional weight to try to lose or make my poor foot bear after I've gone through this process. Small positives, but it all helps !

It was my step mother's 50th birthday recently, so to celebrate we held a Mardi Gras themed birthday party for her last weekend. Despite the weather it went well, all enjoyed the food & copious amounts of alcohol that were on offer. Chicken jambalya, vegetable gumbo, red beans & rice & king cake were on the menu. Everyone made a fantastic effort with their masks, god knows what the passers by must have thought. Their house is up a remote hill in the Forest of Dean you see & the entire garden & garage was decked out with purple, green & gold decorations, so this along with an assortment of masquerade mask wearing people in the front garden, I should think it caused a few second looks !
Despite the boot, after a few too many glasses of wine I even managed to boogie on down with my dad to a bit of reggae. On crutches of course & perhaps not entirely keeping to the rhythm but I had a go & it was a laugh !

2 comments:

  1. I wish I would have done more non weight bearing exercising while I was off my foot. I did do ankle stretches and that helped range of motion. But I definitely didn't do enough leg work. I did some but more would be better.
    I too wonder just what my future holds -- or should I say what my foot will hold. My progress is at a snail's pace, and regresses from time to time. My friends and faith keep my spirits up. Sounds like a great Mardi Gras party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi T,
    Thx for reading my blog & for your comment. I'm sorry to hear abut your uncertainty & progress. You don't say how long it's been since your injury or if you are out of cast yet ? But perhaps it may still help to do the exercises to strengthen your upper body & legs anyway ? I could email them to you if you wanted ?
    I know how hard it is to keep your spirits up, I struggle some days, even now.
    The Mardi Gras party was fun, bummer that I was restricted in what I could do & where I go go, but fun none the less :)

    ReplyDelete