Thursday 27 December 2018

So its almost 2019 & 8 years since I did it !

Its December 27th 2018 & a post on here prompted me to check in. I can't believe its been over 7 years since my recovery from a Lisfranc fracture began !

So much has happened since I began this blog, I got married, I moved house again ! I've changed jobs, I've learnt to ski to name a few positives but I guess what you really want to know is.......... how is that foot ???

Well mostly it is fine. I'm due my second DEXA scan since I discovered the Osteopaenia & since the fractures so I honestly don't know how the bone density or arthritis situation is.

But what I can tell you is my darkest fears did not materialise & I can most days wear high heels for a while with no significant pain (Maybe a vain positive but to me aged 38 & single it was important). I can drive my car (manual or stick shift to the US readers) for long distances with no swelling (I needed to do this to continue with my career).  I conquered my fear of suffering another fracture to be able to ski ALL the way down the mountain & I have managed to jog distances of 3-4 miles. I may not be the fastest runner, or the most dynamic skier, or be able to wear 6 " Laboutins but life is alot better than I feared it might be. I can only say to anyone who finds themselves facing this scary unknown that is a Lisfranc fracture to hang in there, because it will improve.

I don't know how long it will be until I start to experience pain or discomfort that starts to limit my mobility/activity. I expect & accept that this is inevitable though, in the meantime I'm going to carry on trying to fend it off for as long as I possibly can !

Best Wishes & Happy New Year all xxx

1 comment:

  1. Wow a very inspiring story. Bravo for all your courage and determination this is a hell of an injury and the recovery road is very long. I have recently have
    suffered a horrible Lisfranc injury all my midfoot was dislocated and was put together by ORIF surgery with 5 screws and K wires. I'm now a bit over 8 weeks post OP and another month until weight bearing. So far I have kept a positive attitude and my pain is almost gone except for the some numbness swelling and sensitive skin around the surgery. My surgeon is not very keen of the idea of removing the hardware by I would prefer he does with time he says it requires another surgery he says we wait and see. Does anybody have any comments or experience concerning hardware removal? or walking with the screws inside the foot?
    Thanks again for sharing your journey to recovery it has been very inspiring to all that have suffered any type of injury.

    ReplyDelete