Thursday 6 October 2011

The foot is crossing the pond !

Good morning everyone,
Thank you for your comments, they were a lovely reminder that I'm not the only one dealing with these problems........

The news is, I've decided to go ahead with my trip. A distraction is what I need at the moment I've decided. After a few days of stewing, a few minor alterations to our plans, we are flying out of Heathrow T5 this evening!
My lovely chap (yes he did hang around,despite the foot)has booked me club class all the way to NYC. Which means the foot will travel in style & will be elevated the whole way.
I am back on the Clexane to hopefully fend off a possible DVT & we have organised wheelchair assistance through the airports on both sides of the pond.
We have cancelled both of our internal flights & now plan to drive from NYC to Greensboro NC before heading to Cherokee & the Smokies. The beauty of this is we can stop as often as the foot needs & run to our own schedule. We've even decided to include Philadelphia in our return journey back to NYC.

I brought a new DSLR a few months ago, so I will be snapping away & will try to post as often as I can. We plan to have dinner at The Waters Edge restaurant tomorrow evening (Birthday) which has stunning views from Long Island of the Manhattan skyline. We were there last November, on our 2nd date so it's sweet to be going back. I may try to watch the sunset from The Empire State building, I visited it in 2005 & perhaps a picnic in Central Park .......
I've also researched wheelchair hire companies, if it comes to it, I'll swallow a bit of pride & use one.
So for the next two weeks, it's not about the foot & what I can't do, it's about exploration, fun, adventure & me ;-)

5 comments:

  1. Emma - Great news! Hope you have a great time and enjoy! Would have loved to met up for a cup of coffee in NY. If you find the time and schedules permit send me an email - I possibly would be in NY next week. And happy Birthday tomorrow! (My Wife's birthday is the 8th! - so I need to pick up her a dozen roses tomorrow!)

    G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma...Be sure to take the Staten Island Ferry! One nice way to see Central Park is to go on one of the birding walks with "Birding Bob" DiCandido (if you like that sort of thing. You most probably would see Blue Jays and Cardinals. But I see you were here before, so maybe you've done that.) He pushed my wheelchair all over the place when I was still non-weight bearing! Another nice thing to do in the park is to see the elms. There aren't many big groups of American Elms any more...
    Drop me an email if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emma,
    I'm praying your trip is everything you are hoping it will be. While I'd love to meet you, I'm in California, a little far to reach out. Have a wonderful time.
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you'll have a great time. Enjoy the time off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone,
    The wifi was limited in NYC, so posting was tricky. It would have been great to meet up, but we had to leave on Sun am, due to driving now instead of flying .....
    I hope you are all continuing to make good progress in your recoveries ;-)

    ReplyDelete