Saturday 9 July 2011

3 mths since my Lisfranc surgery .........

Tomorrow will be the 14 week anniversary of my Lisfranc fracture, I thought I'd update you all on how I'm doing. ....
I've been home alone for two weeks, just me, my foot & my dog rattling around in my flat & finding ways to overcome some of the obstacles I now face when trying to do some of the simplest tasks.
My dog, Hannah is almost completely blind now from degenerative retinal disease, so trying to negotiate around the flat on my crutches & avoid banging into her has been a challenge !
Hannah lives to eat, food is her greatest pleasure in life, so every time I got to the kitchen, so does she. Hannah has cunningly worked out that if she sits in between me & the kitchen work surface, then she's in a prime position to catch any food I drop, before I can stop her. Although this has worked well for her for food, the downside is she regularly nudges my crutches that are resting against the work surface & as such has received several bumps on the head from them as they clatter to the floor.  She walks hopefully alongside me with her head in the air, nose twitching, as I trundle slowly along on one crutch, whilst precariously balancing a plate of food in the other hand. My cutlery & anything else I need in one of my pockets. I do it this way because the only other alternative would be eating in the kitchen whilst standing. Hannah's also bumped into my crutches when trotting up to me for a stroke, the poor thing has had to try to adapt to her mistress's extra two legs by touch & smell only. I look at her & can't help but think that this must be very confusing for her. Walks only happen if someone visits who doesn't mind taking Hannah for a quick stroll around the block, the rest of the time she has to make do with the garden, but she never complains.................. treats & strokes work wonderfully.

So I've been continuing with my physiotherapy exercise since being home, the plus is I can now do them in the living room in front of the TV. I've worked out a way to do my laundry too. I have a big bag with a long strap. So upstairs in the bathroom, I load my laundry into the bag, then I put the bag on diagonally & swing it around to the front, like a kangaroo pouch. After bum shuffling down the stairs, I then use my downstairs crutches to get to the washing machine in the kitchen & unload. To dry it I do the same thing but in reverse & sit on the loo (lid down of course , it's just a handy place to sit!) whilst I unpack the bag & hang the laundry onto my clothes horse.
Thermos vacuum mugs have been a god send. I make a cup of tea, put the lid on & then manage to hobble back into the living room carrying it without slopping it all over the floor- fantastic !
I had a go at hoovering the living room last weekend. Mmmn not my most sensible idea. I worked out how I could use the hoover as one of my crutches & shuffle around the room, hoovering as I went. Balancing was tricky & I did overbalance onto 'the foot' several times......
I've discovered the power of home shopping too ! I place my orders for my food & groceries online, a very friendly chap delivers it & carries it into my kitchen for me. I can even order magazines, newspapers & alcohol :) The next delivery is tomorrow & I can't wait, I've ordered an Indian takeaway, the highlight of this weekend- hoho
My sofa is a huge corner style one, which has now become my main base. I have the TV remotes, my handbag, Blackberry, Iphone & all that I need set up in the corner seat. Lots of cushions to prop me up & both laptops to hand. This is where I currently rest, work & spend most of my time.
I've been working from home for the past couple of weeks which has been difficult to concentrate on. But perseverance will help I think, I mostly just answer emails, phone calls write reports & co ordinate the team in the office remotely. But after being in this very insular environment for so long, it's tough now to snap out of it & stay focused on any singular task for any length of time I find.

This week however I went to two day sales meeting & met with the rest of my team. It was the first time I'd seen them all since I'd had my accident. So I had one chair for me & one for 'the foot'. I sat at the end of the boardroom table & gave my presentation, to my surprise it was well received, I finished with the last slide being my X-rays with the caption "any questions?" & gave everyone a wry smile.
The hotel room booked for me was an accessible one, with a walk in shower. This was novel, I've been lifting myself in & out of the bath for three months. So in I hobbled on my crutches & switched it on, the shower head squirted water everywhere, not just on me, but up the walls, all over the wash basin, all over the towels & mirror. It was broken & there I was naked, on crutches & powerless to do anything other than watch the water spray uncontrollably anywhere it wanted to !
I gave up, washed as best I could & switched it off. the bathroom was a scene of soggy chaos !
I think I'll stick to baths.......


So I received a letter from my consultant yesterday, I am to go back into hospital on Friday (15th) for the operation to remove one of the plates & approx 6 screws from my 1st, 2nd & 3rd metatarsals. It may mean an overnight stay due to the general anaesthetic, I'm hoping this op won't be a big deal though. I'm sure I'll feel a little bit sore afterwards but I have plenty of pain killers left over which should see me through. I'm guessing that they'll go back in through the same scar from the previous op, pity as it's healed quite well.
I've put boyfriend on standby for some TLC & to ensure they'll let me out as quickly as possible (apparently they have rules about discharging people after GA without people to look after them) & I've warned work that I'll be uncontactable for a few days. But this op is another step forward, after I've recovered I should then be able to begin walking using all of 'the foot' albeit still in my boot & on crutches. The thing to look forward to though, is I'll be another step closer to SHOES- Yay !

15 comments:

  1. Good morning fellow Mariner! (Or actually afternoon to ya). So one week to one of the final steps? I sort of see getting the screws out as the beginning of the end - you know you cant do a whole lot till they are out. But once they start coming out you are that much closer. Your sofa set-up sort of sounds like mine - It makes a good central location to do business. I'll wish you much luck later in the week. G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey all - This popped up on my IPOD in shuffle mode - This is for all of us!
    Hey, don't write yourself off yet
    It's only in your head you feel left out or looked down on
    Just try your best, try everything you can
    And don't you worry what they tell themselves when you're away

    It just takes some time
    Little girl you're in the middle of the ride
    Everything, everything will be just fine
    Everything, everything will be alright, alright

    Hey, you know they're all the same
    You know you're doing better on your own, so don't buy in
    Live right now, yeah, just be yourself
    It doesn't matter if it's good enough for someone else

    It just takes some time
    Little girl you're in the middle of the ride
    Everything, everything will be just fine
    Everything, everything will be alright, alright
    [| From: http://www.elyrics.net/read/j/jimmy-eat-world-lyrics/the-middle-lyrics.html |]

    It just takes some time
    Little girl you're in the middle of the ride
    Everything, everything will be just fine
    Everything, everything will be alright, alright

    Hey, don't write yourself off yet
    It's only in your head you feel left out or looked down on
    Just do your best, do everything you can
    And don't you worry what the bitter hearts are gonna say

    It just takes some time
    Little girl you're in the middle of the ride
    Everything, everything will be just fine
    Everything, everything will be alright, alright

    It just takes some time
    Little girl you're in the middle of the ride
    Everything, everything will be just fine
    Everything, everything will be alright, alright

    I think its Jimmy Eats World?


    G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Glenn,

    I've tried to post on your blog twice, but I'm having a few problems, so I thought I'd respond to you on here instead;

    Well the mantra of Lisfranc, the golden rule is elevate the foot as much as possible ! I still elevate mine whenever I'm resting. It all helps with getting the swelling down, which helps the pain & aids the recovery. So my advice would be pack a cushion & book an extra seat at the dinner table for the next few months ! It's not so bad once you get used to it.
    Good to hear you've been down to the boat. I was so gutted about cancelling all of the racing for this year, I'd get hissy at the slightest mention of any sailing for the first six weeks. Then my boyfriend decided that a weekend on the boat was just what I needed. So 7 weeks after surgery we headed down to Southampton for a weekend on the boat. There was just the two of us & "the foot" we decided just to motor over to the Isle of Wight. We saw 28-32 knots of wind along the way, so the journey was bumpy to say the least & getting into the berth in the marina was challenging ! The next morning, the shipping forecast gave a force 8-9 heading our way, so we had a fairly tense motor back to Hythe. But I did feel brilliant afterwards, just for being out on the water & feeling the salt on my face :) Looking back it probably wasn't the most sensible idea we'd had though !
    I live in Tunbridge Wells which is in the county of Kent- The Garden of England apparently. It's not far from London & about 2 hrs from Southampton, Bournemouth is a bit further down the coast. I've visited a few places in the US, namely New Orleans, Washington, Baltimore, New York & New Jersey. Next on my list are California & Hawaii, although sailing in San Fransisco bay appeals too......

    So Glenn, obey the Lisfranc mantra is my advice ! The foot likes it that way, pointing your toes to the floor is not an option, for now anyway :)

    Stay cheerful,

    Emma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Emma,

    That's great news. You're doing awesome and showing such resilience. I don't know if I would be able to cook, do the laundry, take care of a dog, and work while still on two crutches.

    Once you are able to put more weight on your foot, you will face a different set of challenges, but it means you are closer to your goal.

    Glenn, I have to agree with Emma. Keep your foot elevated as often as possible before your stitches come out. For the first two weeks I lay on my bed only to get up to eat, bathe and use the washroom. There isn't much you can do until then. After the stitches come out, you should be able to take off the boot to bathe and do basic ankle and toe exercises.

    Cheers,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, there..I agree with the other two: elevate, elevate, elevate. My doctor had me elevated for 10 weeks, which wasn't the best thing for maintaining strength and flexibility, but did help the foot return to normal!
    Google "crutch buddies." They are an outfit that makes crutch aids. I adapted their design to make a bag that hung over the top of the crutch (there's a pix on my blog) for my husband when he had a knee replacement, and I wish I had thought of it when I was on crutches. Very useful!
    I also highly recommend backpacks for carrying things around. They balance the weight evenly and don't get in the way. Anything that didn't break got thrown down the stairs!
    Good luck with the recovery!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning folks! Thanks for the advice. I am accepting the elevate mantra. Going into week 3 though I was hoping to rest the leg on the floor more - oh well. Wed I am going to try to get into my office for a 1/2 day meeting. I will take Emma's advice and bring along a cushion to put onto a chair. I also was going to try to move back into my home office this week from the couch office - I think I'll stay put for a few more days. Have a great week all. I'll post my adventures of getting into the office on Wednesday. I live about 30 miles from Stamford CT where my actual office is -- so braving the traffic etc. will be an adventure. Funny on what used to be routine is now a big deal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emma - I took a look at Google Maps - Looks like you live in a very nice part of GB! As far as sailing in 30knot winds - That's extreme! Even the hard core sailors here on the Long Island Sound would most likely sit that out.. For sailors, I would highly also recommend a visit to Newport RI - You can actually hire an original America's Cup 12 Meter for the afternoon and mock race a sister 12 meter. The town is also full of great restaurants, bars and nightlife.

    G

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone sounds up -- I love it. I'm a bit tired today, restarted physical therapy. Even though I kept up with my exercises at home, it was still rough. But progress is progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hang in there Sissie. If the surgeon did his job, then PT is the only way to get better. Four weeks ago, I couldn't use my toes to lift a 10 lb weight resting on my knee in the sitting position without pain. Today, I am able to stand tippy toes on both feet with equal weight distribution. The bad foot still feels funny, but its progress. As you improve, shock and challenge your foot and body with more difficult exercises, so that the muscle confusion forces it to adapt and improve. Don't get comfortable. Expect to be frustrated. Don't give up. You will get better. You made me believe it. I believe in you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep working it. Stamina, stamina, stamina.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sissie- keep the determination going, the start of anything is always the toughest bit.
    Thx to everyone for the good luck messages, last meal eaten, now in bed pondering how it will all be & feel this time tomorrow. Sincerely hoping it will be fine. Butterflies are flutterbying..........
    Here's hoping the drugs work well, good night all :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Foredeck. Hang in there. This is the beginning of the recovery and another step closer to where you want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emma - your tales of Lisfranc-ing whilst living on your own sound v familiar - I relate to the hoovering especially (LOL)...

    but for other people at this early stage can I suggest you explore using wheeled zimmers rather than crutches - I have 2,
    one like a hostess trolley with 2 shelves that allows me to wheel food to the table and ingredients round the kitchen,
    and one with an integral seat which has many non-obvious uses with sufficient lateral thinking!! including allowing me to wheel a laundry basket around happily - I quickly developed a prehensile knee too!!

    UK people - both above supplied by NHS once I'd persevered enough to find the right people (NOT the c**p the hospital sent me home with).

    Also a perching stool set high allows you to cook and eat seated at a kitchen worktop (again available via NHS)

    UK people - none of the above were offered, I had to keep asking various people until I found the right person who was prepared to do something pragmatic - there are warehouses full of these things available to the NHS but they're kept like some much guarded secret

    In particular
    the wheeled zimmer with seat
    and the perching stool at worktop height
    have TOTALLY changed my life post-injury

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. btw - I appreciate that we are lucky in the UK to have access to such tools FOC
      my frustration is that they are sat in warehouses (the delivery guys have all told me this) 'hidden' from people who really need them

      Delete