Monday 25 April 2011

Thursday 7th April

The next three days had been painful & awkward but luckily I was well supported by new boyfriend, my dad & my grandad who had all visited me & helped me out with cooking & general day to day stuff, eating takeaways, watching movies etc etc :)
So I attended fracture clinic on Thursday 7th April & after having my cast removed, the registrar looked concerned. The location of the bruising & the amount of swelling were atypical to a Lisfranc, I later found out.After having my back slab plaster removed, I went for X-ray & also attempted a weight bearing X-ray, returning to Fracture clinic to meet again with the registrar.....
An orthopaedic consultant appeared along with the registrar & with a grave expression on his face proceeded to explain that he thought it was highly likely I had in fact broken more than one bone along with injuring the Lisfranc joint. At this point I'd never heard of the Lisfranc joint, but the consultant then proceeded to explain I would need surgery, but this wouldn't be possible until the swelling had subsided. I was referred for a CT scan & fitted with a walking boot, although told strictly no weight bearing & to keep the foot elevated at all times to reduce the swelling as quickly as possible. A possible 3 month recovery period was mentioned & after now realising the potential seriousness of the injury I booked a private appointment to follow up the CT scan results with the consultant on Saturday 9th April...............

No comments:

Post a Comment